Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life Verse

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

A friend's mother gave me a "prayer basket" when I was young. In this basket she placed a bible, a journal, and a devotional. I had never studied the Bible before and at the time the language of this King James version seemed hard for me to understand. I honestly remember feeling overwhelmed on how to even begin reading or studying-but I had such a deep yearning to understand God's Word. In the Bible she had placed a bookmark inside. Provers 3:5-6 was written on the bookmark. I had no idea even where to find Proverbs- so I would sit and memorize this verse over and over. This verse became my life verse.
I can look back on times in my life where things didn't make much sense-scary times-sad times. I can also look back on times in life where things did make sense-peaceful times-jubilant times. I can vividly remember repeating this verse to myself-lean not on my own understanding-He will make my path straight-over the years I could not count how many times I have said these words to myself.


When I was pregnant with Noah we made a promise. We promised that we would pick out a verse for each of our children. With the Lord's direction, we wanted these verses to be their own-something they could claim for all their days.
When Noah was born my precious mother had a friend paint a mural over his crib with his life verse, Zephaniah 3:17. Then when Bella was born her verse was painted as a border around her room.- Eph 3: 17-19. We moved to a new home when I was pregnant with number three and when I came home from the hospital with Emma Lynn-my precious mother again had someone paint a mural. This time down the hallway leading to their rooms was their mural. This mural had trees, flowers, picket fences, swings, etc.---but also painted were all three life verses with their names above each verse. Everyday-many times- to get to their rooms I would pass their verses. It was such a sweet reminder of how God created each of them-and how He was continuing a work in them.

As I was beginning this blog-the Lord directed me to my precious Judah's verse.
Psalm 91: 14-16
"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."
When I read this verse I knew immediately this was his verse. Many times I will read it and weep. (Reader, read this again, but replace he with your own name.) It is so personal-so intimate. I have prayed and prayed this verse over Judah. My prayer is that he will realize one day that the Lord did rescue him-not only from an orpanage but to eternity. God protected him when he was left in that taxi. God answered him with a forever family. All the days of his life God will be with him, deliver him, and honor him.
As each day passes, at times I am so deeply grieved that I am missing out on his life. I can not even put into words how much it hurts sometimes-to be missing the every day little things that I take for granted with my other children. He gets bigger every day and I miss it. Even now as I am typing---lean not on my own understanding--in all my ways acknowledge Him and He will make my path straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment